How does a Christian husband, who is supposed to be the spiritual leader in his home, submit to his wife?
One of the characteristics of a Spirit filled believer, found in Ephesians 5:18-21 is; submitting to one another in the fear of God. What does that look like from the husband’s perspective in a Christian marriage?
The verses following verse 21 lists: wives, husbands, children, fathers, bondservants (employees) and masters (employers) with an explanation to each of them on submitting to one another in the fear of God.
Under husbands, there are three word pictures that God gives us to illustrate what a husband’s submission to his wife looks like:
- Love her as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it.
- Love her as you love your own body.
- Love her as you love yourself.
- Make a list of the characteristics of Christ’s love for the church.
- Make a list of the characteristics of your love and care for your own body.
- Make a list of the characteristics of your love for yourself (how you like to be treated as a person).
After making each list, spend some time meditating on how to make those characteristics the characteristics of your relationship with your wife.
Place these lists in your Bible and periodically review and revise or add to them.
Share what you’ve learned with someone else.
- To demonstrate God’s love one must have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- Biblical submission recognizes God’s order and His authority.
- God’s love will be exhibited by a Christian walking in the Spirit.
- Never focus on what the spouse should be doing, deal with self!
…let the word of Christ dwell (take up its life) in you richly…